Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Ovid's Metamorphoses, by C. Northrup

Ovid's Metamorphoses
By C. Northrup
Check the self-portrait in the lamp ;)
Hello!  My name is Charlie and this is my comic!  Well, it’s not entirely my comic… I am translating and adapting a 2000+ year old Latin poem called the Metamorphoses.  It’s written by a real awesome dude named Ovid, who lived approximately 43 BCE – 17/18 CE –  so, really, he should get the writing credit…  I’ve modified some things here and there, so I will always post the corresponding lines of the poem below, along with my translation. (Latin nerds: feel free to email me and criticise my translation!)  It is my stated goal to remain as faithful to the poem as possible, but I do like to make it accessible to modern audiences at the same time.  So, check the Latin and throw something at me if I deviate too far!
I’m also doing a little PhD dissertation on this poem, so I will gush about the poem and the context below, if you fancy a gander at my ramblings…

No comments:

Post a Comment