Monday, July 29, 2019

Macadam Collections on funerary cones from The Sudan Library

[First posted in AWOL 23 April 2012, updated 29 July 2019]

Macadam Collections on funerary cones from The Sudan Library
By Kento Zenihiro
This website publishes manuscripts on the ancient Egyptian funerary cones, which were written by the late Norman de Garis Davies, a famous Egyptologist and epigrapher, and the late Miles Frederick Laming Macadam, a renowned archaeologist and philologist in the fields of both Egyptology and Nubiology. Here you will find high-resolution pictures and transcribed JPEG images of all 958 pages that I found at The Sudan Library, Khartoum, wholly free of charge.
I found the manuscripts by the merest coincidence.
It all started with an email I received from my junior colleague, Tsubasa Sakamoto, on January 3, 2011. At the time, he was an international student studying Nubian archaeology at the University of Khartoum. Whilst browsing some books, he found three manuscripts concerning funerary cones at The Sudan Library, and was then kind enough to tell me about them via email with some pictures attached.
He then offered to send photos of all the pages, but my researcher’s spirit led me to the decision to visit the library myself. Seeing with one’s own eyes may not always be efficient, but it is a necessity.
Thus, I arrived in Sudan about four months later, and worked from April to May.


No comments:

Post a Comment