AWOL passed the one million page views threshold this autumn (1,133,268 as of today, to be exact), and is now approaching 5500 subscribers by email, three and a half years after I deployed that function. I'm gratified that such a large number of you find AWOL interesting enough to voluntarily add another piece of email to your busy queues each day.
You may follow AWOL directly via News Feed (user count not easy to discover), via Feedburner (these are the ca. 5500 email subscribers), on Facebook (825 likes), or on Twitter @ISAWLibrary (572 followers). You can also follow AWOL on Google+.
AWOL' s Alphabetical list of Open Access Journals in Ancient Studies currently includes 1056 titles. We reached the 1000 title benchmark a little more than a year ago. I'm currently editing and revising the list - a slow process
The following graph charts the growth of traffic on AWOL over its lifetime:
Since May 2010, Blogger has been keeping detailed statistics on usage of files hosted there. In that period the ten most frequently viewed AWOL pages have been:
I invite you to make use of the full suite of Online Resources from ISAW currently available from ISAW and its collaborators under the terms of open licenses:
Entry Pageviews 96901
Jun 13, 2011 4002
Sep 27, 2012 1927
Mar 8, 2012 1622
Dec 14, 2011 1414
Aug 6, 2012, 1332
Sep 24, 2012, 1269
Oct 18, 2009 1171
- Ancient World Digital Library Book Viewer
- The first fruits of an effort to accelerate and enhance access to the emerging global library of digital publications on the ancient world, the AWDL Book Viewer lets users read and search digitized copies of previously printed scholarly materials. In addition to page images of many digitized volumes, AWDL currently hosts an online version of Roger Bagnall and Giovanni Ruffini. (2012) Amheida I. Ostraka from Trimithis, Volume 1: Texts from the 2004–2007 Seasons.
- Ancient World Image Bank
- View and download over 2,000 free digital images of sites and objects from the ancient world, contributed by ISAW faculty, staff and friends.
- Ancient World Online
- Find out about all the latest online and open-access material relating to the ancient world, regardless of where it's published.
- Learn about the objects and cultures featured in ISAW's public exhibitions at 15 East 84th Street in New York. Even though these exhibitions eventually close or move on to other locations, the websites for them remain, providing permanent access to images, maps and other materials.
- ISAW Papers
- ISAW Papers is an open-content scholarly journal that publishes article-length works on any topic within the scope of ISAW's scholarly research.
- Search and browse over 50,000 ancient Greek and Latin documents preserved on papyrus and other materials. Images, texts, translations and descriptions contributed by scholars and institutions around the world. Get the latest project news via the Digital Papyrology Blog.
- Planet Atlantides
- News aggregators for ancient studies. This site gathers together news, commentary and other posts from a variety of blogs and sites around the web and provides the aggregate in an easy-to-read web page as well as in a variety of web feed formats.
- Use, create and share information about ancient places, spaces and geographic names. Over 30,000 places registered (and growing). Get Pleiades Project News here.
- Social Media
- You can follow ISAW on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Academia.edu, Google+, or (via one of our web feeds) in your favorite feed reader or aggregator.
I also invite you to amuse yourself by browsing through Bookplates of Scholars in Ancient Studies. If any of you have additions, corrections or comments on that, please do get in touch with me. I'm particularly interested if you can surface other interesting bookplates of scholars of antiquity.
As always, comments - online or offline - about AWOL are welcome.
Earlier administrative notes with user statistics have been posted in October 2012, August 2012, April 2012, March 2012, November 2011, October 2011, July 2011, April 2011, January 2011, December 2010, October 2010, August 2010, July 2010, May 2010, and January 2010.