The AMPHORAS Project
This site contains information on plain, unglazed, ceramic storage containers, with two handles, mostly pointed at the bottom, used to carry wine, oil, fish, and other commodities around the ancient Mediterranean. AMPHORAS is making available part of the archive collected by Virginia R. Grace at the excavations of the Agora at Athens, as well as some additional materials. Included are:
- a bibliography of scholarly work on finding, identifying, and studying Greek and Roman amphoras and the trade they carried
- passages in ancient Greek literature on the use of amphoras (quoted in English).
- translations into English of works (or parts of works) published in Russian on amphoras
- links to other Web sites with amphora information and/or images (excavations, wrecks, etc) and other sources of bibliography
- searches of the bibliography files and the text of other files. Use '@' for and, '.' for any letter (wr.ck@mahdia): see Notes on searching.