The W. F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research (AIAR), founded in 1900, as the American School of Oriental Research in Jerusalem, provides a base for a broad range of American-led scholarly research projects in Near Eastern studies from prehistory to the early Islamic period in the Middle East. Located in an historic building in Jerusalem, the Albright offers fellowships for doctoral and post-doctoral studies, and maintains residential and research facilities for its fellows, including an extensive library. The Institute fosters North American participation in, and provides support for, archaeological excavations and surveys; promotes working relationships with related institutions in Jerusalem and the neighboring communities.
The mission of the Albright is to develop and disseminate scholarly knowledge of the literature, history, and culture of the Near East, as well as the study of the development of civilization from prehistory to the early Islamic period.
No. 17, 2012