Sebastian Heath, Joseph L. Rife, Jorge J. Bravo III, and Gavin Blasdel. ISAW Papers 10 (2015)
Abstract: This paper presents the results of preliminary study of Early Byzantine pottery from a large building near the waterfront at Kenchreai in southern Greece. Kenchreai served as the eastern port of Corinth throughout antiquity. The building was first excavated in 1976 by the Greek Archaeological Service, and it has been investigated since 2014 by the American Excavations at Kenchreai with permission from the Ministry of Culture under the auspices of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. The pottery is characterized by the presence of many Late Roman Amphora 2 rims as well as stoppers and funnels. This indicates that the building had a role in the distribution of regional agricultural products during its final phase, which is dated to the very late sixth or early seventh centures A.D. by African Red-Slip and Phocaean Red-Slip tablewares. A wide range of lamps, glass vessels, and other small finds has also been recorded. Results to date are preliminary but ongoing work may allow further precision as to the chronology and use of this building.
Library of Congress Subjects: Kenchreai (Greece); Pottery, Roman; Pottery, Byzantine; Economic history--Medieval, 500-1500.
The Site of Kenchreai
Towards a Chronology of the Threpsiades Complex
Preliminary Quantification of Amphoras
Large and Small Late Roman Amphora 2
LRA2 Stoppers and Two Funnel Types
Activities Within the Building
The Threpsiades Site and Regional Change
And see AWOL's list of all ISAW Papers