This page collects the following materials, resources and links related to the study of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the other settlements buried by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in AD 79. These are particularly, but not exclusively, related to The World of Pompeii, a comprehensive handbook edited by John J. Dobbins, Professor of Classical Art and Archaeology in the McIntire Department of Art at the University of Virginia, and director of the Pompeii Forum Project, and Pedar W. Foss, Associate Professor in the Department of Classical Studies at DePauw University.
- Marginalia, meant to enhance the utility of The World of Pompeii for teaching, research and reference.
- E-book: A. Mau, Pompeii: its life and art, F.W. Kelsey, trans., London, rev. ed. 1907 (in the public domain)
- Index/Concordance of individual houses and shops at Pompeii and Herculaneum for The World of Pompeii
- A Master Bibliography compiled from all the chapters of The World of Pompeii
- A short list of essential links to other online resources on Pompeii
- The Table of Contents for The World of Pompeii
- Publication information for The World of Pompeii
- Reviews of The World of Pompeii
- E-version of a Ph.D. dissertation: Pedar W. Foss, Kitchens and dining rooms at Pompeii: the spatial and social relationship of cooking to eating in the Roman household, University of Michigan, 1994.
- Dissertation excerpt: “Age, gender, and status divisions at mealtime in the Roman house: a synopsis of the literary evidence” (1995)
Monday, November 12, 2012
Pompeii - resources and links related to the study of Pompeii...