POTSHERD - Atlas of Roman Pottery
This is a collection of pages on pottery and ceramics in archaeology, principally of the Roman period (1st cent. BC - 5th cent. AD) in Britain and western Europe.
- The pages include an introductory Atlas of Roman Pottery, containing descriptions and distribution maps of types of Roman pottery (particularly types found in Britain).
- The pages of the Atlas describing the individual wares can be accessed through the main menu, which lists the wares by CLASS (table wares, cooking wares, transport amphoras etc) or SOURCE (by province of origin). Links to these indices will also be found in the main menu bar.
Roman Pottery in Britain
- The permanent URL for this site is http://potsherd.net.
- There is a backup copy of some of the content at http://www.potsherd.demon.co.uk.
- The site includes a companion to Roman Pottery in Britain, a survey of pottery made or used in Britain during the Roman period published in 1996. The pages include an additional index of non-UK sites and a list of errata.
- Central Gaulish granite-tempered wares: database, images etc to accompany paper published in the journal Nord-Ouest Archéologie 12 (2001). This ware includes some of the moulded-rim jars classified in French ceramic reports as le type Besançon.